Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Disability? It Doesn't Matter to This Mama

Recently I took Bradley to see if he needed speech therapy.  Turns out he needed more then just speech therapy and this was hard for me to hear.  I wondered if I did something wrong as a mom, if I wasn't good  enough, if I didn't try hard enough, what I did wrong.

When reading the reports that I got back, it seemed to make the matters worse.  Then there was a meeting following the reports to see where and what to do about all this and make a plan.  It was all overwhelming.  I was feeling like a failure.  What made the matter worse is not only did Bradley need the speech therapy but occupational therapy because his fine motors skills are not up to par.

After the meeting my husband and I had with the school people, I'm not even 100% sure who they are but I know one of them is a psychologist, or psychiatrist, anyway it turns out this is a good thing.  Because Bradley is mildly delayed in BOTH speech and fine motor skills he qualifies for help.  If he was mildly delayed in one or the other he would not qualify for any help and could go years without it.  This is a blessing.  And turns out they feel like after a year he most likely won't need speech anymore or occupational therapy.  They feel like he may be able to be catch up quickly.

Yesterday was his first at home speech and occupational therapy sessions.  First was speech.  Chris was home for part of it then had to go back to work.  It was fantastic!  Bradley was picking up the "f" sound quickly.  I was so proud of him and I was learning how to teach him how to make it.  The only hiccup in the whole process is when the therapist was playing a farm game with Bradley in which a bucket of rice (the farm) had hidden farm animals in it, which Bradley had to find.  Bradley and Maureen sang a song together, then Bradley would find the animal, name it and set it aside.  All of a sudden the first animal, a sheep, came up missing.  Turns out, Leo (our lab) who intently was watching the entire game, stole it.  Maureen asked if Leo had it.  I said no because he continued to sit right next to them and was not licking his lips.  Then he quietly slipped away into the other room and I had to pry his mouth open to find a sheep sitting on his tongue.  After a quick wash in the sink, the sheep was returned.  Maureen thought this was hilarious.

Occupational therapy was yesterday as well.  Bradley was very hyper by the time Miss Lisa came over but loved playing toss the bean bag into the bucket and drawing.  He and Miss Lisa did have fun and Leo did not steal anything this time.

Thursday is the next day both of these ladies come over.    It will be every Tuesday and Thursday until school is out and then it starts up again in the fall.  Bradley is learning very quickly in speech and I hope he learns just as quickly in the occupational therapy department I just have to have the little distractions of wee little children occupied elsewhere.  As for my child with a disability.....he's my child and I love him either way.  At last he is getting the help he needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment