Friday, May 1, 2009

What Have You Done?

As I drive home from my babysitters house I pass a billboard that says, "What have you done for your marriage today?" I often think about this now and it has come up in several conversations, with friends and with my husband. Sometimes I think we don't realize what we do for our marriage, but all in all I think it should be recognized, maybe not on a daily basis verbally but as long as we recognize it. An online statistic for the divorce rates in the US stated, "40-50% of first marriages end in divorce" and "According to statistics, second marriages fail at a rate of 60-67 percent, and third marriages fail at a rate of 73-74 percent" (Ezine Articles). It later states that communication is an issue followed by conflicts and arguments then infidelity. I think all of these would probably go hand in hand.


Chris and I tend to bicker and have our own arguments from time to time. But what we do is I end up forcing us to talk, not argue, about it. We discuss how it makes us feel and normally end with an apology and kiss. As for communication it truly is key to any relationship. We try and keep open communication with the both of us and it tends to work out. Nothing ends up being a surprise, or very rarely and we support one another, whether right or wrong.

Last night Chris and I discussed what we have done for our marriage today. We talked about how we made each other feel, etc. It was good. Chris had a very hard time coming up with what he felt he did for our marriage. He has done many great things, he just had a hard time recognizing them, so I told him what I felt he did well for our marriage that day.

So now I ask you..."What have you done for your marriage today?" If not married how about a relationship of some sort.

3 comments:

  1. I have given my husband several kisses before worked and expressed many times how much I can't wait for him to come home tonight for our weekly at home date night! Great writing Jen. It;s getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're completely right. Thats so good u guys can talk. I agree that communication is a huge thing. Opening up is definately one of my biggest problems, wasnt a problem till I got burned bad. Hopefully at some point I'll make a full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this.

    Rob got up WAY earlier than he needed to so that he could drop me off at the school (I went and sold plants today at a local farmers market. :).

    I bought Rob Kettle Corn and artisan bread at the farmers market, and then we got him a bike so that we can spend time together AND exercise at the same time. :)

    It's been a good day. :)

    ReplyDelete