Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Wonderful Day With My Little Shrimp

I absolutely LOVE my new ward I'm in. Not only are there mostly boys Bradley's age in nursery, but the moms all want to hang out. I took the initiative last week and gave out magnets with our info on them for play dates (I've had these magnets made since June just didn't hand them out). Anyway, some of the moms were taking their kids blueberry picking today. Needless to say, I agreed, although as a child I didn't like it very much.

The ladies met at 8am....and started picking. Of course those who know me well know this didn't happen with me....Bradley and I showed up around 8:45. Bradley was good at it in the beginning but then saw a wagon and dropped his little basket, ran over to the wagon (while stepping on his blueberries) and played. He ran up and down the rows of bushes. He even would come over and start munching on my blueberries in the bucket. He had a blast. He was covered in dirt, mud and of course blueberries. The best part, the oldest child was not even three yet. It all worked out perfectly.

I filled my bucket about three quarters of the way and then we headed off to pay. I ended up with about fourteen to fifteen cups of blueberries and only paid $7! Talk about excited. I can't wait to go back. While leaving, if we saw a good bush, which we of course stopped and added it to our bucket as well. Let me clarify....I added to my bucket and Bradley added it to his mouth.

After picking blueberries, we came home and ate lunch. When that was over Bradley and I worked on writing letters (which is him scribbling, which is fine). We also worked with a two year old book on tracing. Then we colored. He was so excited about all of this.

Finally we both laid down for a nap. It was wonderful. I had to set my alarm though because we weren't close to ending our day. Bradley and I headed to swimming lessons at the Y. He's in the shrimp class. He loved jumping in the pool, blowing bubbles in the water, dunking his head in the water and just getting out that energy my almost two year old has. His teacher was quite impressed with him. When she watched him go under water, he was smiling before, during and afterward. I talked to the teacher how Bradley still remembers from last year how to kick, etc. I said Chris and I wanted to let him try on his own but we are scared to let go. She had us put a little flotation device on him, which is strapped to his back. We did it and let go....HE CAN SWIM! He laughs, talks, everything while doing it. He KNOWS to keep his head up. I'm so proud of my little shrimp. He now has the beginning of a life lesson that could literally save his life one day. He's so cute at swimming. Once he kept kicking and ended up swimming in a circle. His teacher was extremely excited and if you can't tell, I am too. I can't wait to show daddy what his little boy can do.

After swimming we came home, ate dinner then off we went again. We headed to my cousin's house to feed and take care of her dog (she's out of town right now). Bradley played with Sherman (her beagle). He fed him some cheese and then tried to give him his dog food. Then it was off to get daddy a Frosty....he was working late tonight and we wanted to give him a treat. Finally it was home, brush Bradley's teeth then off to bed. What a busy day but very eventful and very entertaining.

As for tomorrow it's the zoo with our new friends! Until then, it's picking up the house and doing dishes, all of it well worth it for a day like today.

1 comment: